Search This Blog

Friday 14 January 2011

Staying home

I herby ban the use of the phrase ‘Just a stay at home mum.’



My reasons are threefold.

1)      It’s judgmental. Lord knows, enough of that thing goes on already. And that judgment creates pressure on women (and enough of that goes on too.)  It’s also divisive. I am not necessarily a better feminist because I haul my ass out of bed at 6.30 every morning to go to work. If personal and political choice and freedom for women is ever going to be meaningful, we need to rid the discourse of this kind of prejudice.

2)      Because ‘staying at home’ doesn’t mean retreating from life. Want some proof? Check out Babybandito.

3)      And maybe, if we stopped bandying about this phrase, I wouldn’t be so petrified of what having kids might do to my self esteem.

(My mum, who’s a wise old bird, despite my last reference to her, always says she was better informed staying at home with her children than she was stuck at work listening to the inane twitter of office banter. She puts it all down to Radio 4. Yeah, even The Archers. )

3 comments:

  1. Trust me, you we still be hauling your ass out of bed at 6.30 when you are a mum too, and no lunchbreaks and PPA time either! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I'll remember that when I start to think it's worth getting pregnant just for the maternity leave...

    ReplyDelete