Search This Blog

Friday 21 January 2011

Fraudulent Feminist no. 2: A weighty issue

I was nearly persuaded to become a cavewoman last week. 

Oh, I was seduced. There she was, a slender, toned, gleaming specimen of flesh. She looked up at me, back arched, and drew me in. It might have been the streak of blonde in her hair, or the deep and earnest glance. It was almost certainly the sheen of her skin and the contours of her body. In any case I was won over.



The steps to emulating such perfection were easy. Eat like a cavewoman and that body was mine. Only consume food that could be picked from the ground. Ok, I’m cool with that. Don’t eat any sugary, fatty, mouth-wateringly divine treats. Ok, par for the course. Don’t eat any pulses or grains. Erm, hang on, that means giving up bread. And oats.  And rice. What WOULD I eat?  I saw through its contradictions (don’t oats and wheat and rice grow on the ground?) and its skewed view of the world and got on with my life and my fairly healthy diet. But I had been shaken all the same, knowing that I should do more.

It’s hard to avoid in January, this tyranny of weight loss. And it speaks to the very heart of darkness in women.  I’m not happy with my figure. I don’t know anyone who is. I know I’m not fat, but you know, I’m not thin, not really.

Three months ago, on my wedding day I was 9st 6lb (and ok, at 5ft 8in, that’s quite thin) and today I sit at my desk a slightly portlier 9st 12lb. Exposing my size in this way is excruciating for me. I find the extra weight disturbing and hateful. I’m uncomfortable with the weight gain; it signals a failure for me. There’s a deep seated drive and desire within me to be thinner. I  feel the need to move more and eat less and if I spend the weekend drinking beer and eating chips (because that what makes a good weekend) come Monday I feel disgusted with myself.

Uncomfortable reading, no?  I would do anything to be sixteen again, when I really didn’t care about the puppy fat I’d developed and I enjoyed food with relish.  It was a slow descent into my current love/hate relationship with food but by my early twenties the pattern had been firmly established. Where does this come from?

Well, the cliché to turn to is the fashion world and the general bombardment of images of stick-thin women in the media. But I don’t read those kinds of mags and genuinely have no desire to be thinner than a size 8 – those models look scrawny to me. I’m not so convinced by that argument.

No, it’s darker, deeper, something that lies in the great abyss of the psyche. People with real eating disorders are often said to be using food as a way of gaining control over their lives. I wonder if that is also part of the wider relationship of women and food. Are we trying to gain control of our own lives in a world that is set up to exert control over us?  I’m not absolutely convinced by that idea either. It sometimes feels that to be thin is to be successful. It suggests a certain self-control. It suggests a keen sense of knowing what’s attractive and how to keep yourself that way. Are thin women sending out signals that they are ‘good’ little women? We’ll keep ourselves nice for you,  we can be controlled, we won’t cause you any trouble.  I really hope that isn’t the case.  

Whatever the reasons, whatever cultural influences are bearing down on me, I’m disturbed by the link I seem to have established between my weight, the food I eat and self-loathing.  This is in no way a positive phenomenon.

Of course, beauty ‘ideals’ are mere fashions. I’m quite aware that I would have made a HOT Victorian: delicate fair skin, dark curly hair, slim but curvy where it matters. I just missed my time.

7 comments:

  1. This is a great post, and it really resonates with me. I've always struggled with my weight - like you, I'm not overweight (I'm actually in the best shape of my life), but I don't love my thighs, I HATE my midsection, and I wish my boobs were more in proportion with the rest of my frame. Ugh.

    I feel the need to move more and eat less and if I spend the weekend drinking beer and eating chips (because that what makes a good weekend) come Monday I feel disgusted with myself. I think this is the most important line. We're not unhealthy (well, I'm assuming, based on this post, you're not - I think it is a safe assumption). On one day when I was particularly down on myself and trying to take off "that pesky extra 5lbs", my husband (then-boyfriend) said to me, "Do you want to weigh 5lbs less, or do you want to have a few beers once or twice a week?" I realized then, I wanted to have a few beers once or twice a week! (And/or the occasional burger, or splurge at the Indian buffet, or get Carolina pulled pork ... you get the idea.)

    Even still, after working out each morning, I climb on the scale and scowl. I try to squeeze myself into those jeans that are just a smidge too small. I poke at the stomach fat that, no matter what I do, WILL NOT GO AWAY (though, it has shrunk, but only because I work out every day).

    You get the idea.

    However, I try to stay conscious of it. I remember that size is just a number on a label. I try to counsel my 53 year old mother who bemoans her current clothing size (it's not much more than mine, and she is in fantastic shape ... but not what she was 20 years ago). I feel like a fraud, though, because I know I have the same worries and insecurities about my body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, I am pretty sensible and I eat well each day and have no problem treating myself. I also try to be conscious of letting go of all those destructive thoughts but it is too deep seated to get rid of completely. It doesn't rule my life, but it certainly has a place in it I would prefer it didn't occupy.

    I'm interested in WHY I have these thoughts though. It crept up so steadily, I hardly know how I got here. And why so many other women find themselves in a similar place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help thinking the problem lies within the word 'treat'.

    From a young age we're told to eat all of our vegetables before we can have dessert, and are given sweets "if we're good". We learn to associate healthy food with duty, and chocolate and junk food with reward. As adults, we keep a mental tally through each day - "I've been good so now I can have some chocolate" - and find ourselves in a cycle of guilt and obsession. I think we even stop asking ourselves whether we even want the chocolate and how much we enjoy it -can we even taste it as we snaffle it away in secret? We're just so aware of having to earn it.

    It's hard to reject these thoughts. I think, sadly, you're absolutely right that they are linked to some unconscious ideal we hold of a 'good' woman and for me the puritanical Christian messages that to be 'virtuous' is to make sacrifices and deny sensuality. There are huge parallels you can draw with sex (sluttishness and greed being somewhere on the same spectrum in our minds perhaps, along with not doing the dishes). I think this is damaging both for our relationships with food, and our relationships with our bodies.

    I used to have an unhealthy relationship with food. As soon as I stopped thinking about food as 'good' or 'bad', I relaxed. My new philosophy is that food is there to nourish and be enjoyed. If it doesn't nourish you and you don't particularly enjoy it, don't eat it - but you're not depriving yourself. If you really enjoy a beer, it's worth the extra calories. I can't say I never get the guilt and never binge but my weight has stayed fairly stable since and I worry a lot less about it.

    And I've promised myself to try to avoid using food as a reward if I have children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting comment, especially the link between Christian denial, food and sex. I once read a funny newspaper article that suggested really sexy women eat everything on their plate because it suggests a healthy attitude to other appetites...

    But you are also right about treats. We respond to food in all sort of deep seated ways. I often think that becuase we are told that certain foods are treats and an indulgence we accept them as so without really assessing how much we really like them. I think about this whenever I eat a biscuit. I don't really like them, it's just that I associate them with having a little lift.

    It's all very Pavlov and his dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anon, good points. If I didn't finish my dinner, I didn't get a pudding pop, but if I wanted an apple, I didn't even have to ask. And I probably like apples as much as I liked pudding pops, if not MORE so when I was a kid. I remember my grandfather cutting them up in slivers and sprinkling cinnamon on them - one of my favorite treats, right up there with peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

    A non-food example - if I wanted a toy, it was always "you have [insert gift-giving holiday here] coming up." But if I brought home those scholastic book order forms? I could go nuts and order as many as I wanted.

    A former coworker told me a story about when her son was little - say, 4 years old? - she used to take him to story time each week at the library, and then to choose books to take home ... unless he misbehaved. His punishment? They didn't go to the library. "Parents used to say to me, 'Oh, no! Don't take away the library!' I said, 'Why not? I want him to think of the library as a privilege, that it is something he'll miss if I take it away.'" Interesting take on it. It worked - her son adores books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post reminded me of some Kimya Dawson lyrics:

    I like giants
    Especially girl giants
    Cause all girls feel too big sometimes
    Regardless of their size

    I remember when I first came to London, I let the hard work, stress and busy-ness of my job be a sensible excuse for being nearly anorexic. I lived on one (ready)meal a day and a cup of tea because I was simply "too busy and rushed out of my mind" to eat breakfast or lunch. Then I would tell the story of when I was 13, after watching a very memorable episode of Full House, I tried to be anorexic for a day and failed because "I just like food too much." What a sham. Secretly I loved growing thinner and thinner. No more. Now I finish Dhari's lunch after eating my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too true, Kate. That's why I like Nigella :)

    ReplyDelete